Friday, 2 September 2016
Plantain Goodness With OunjeAladun: Igbindodo: A Dish Of Plantain And Snails
In my earlier post about GizzDodo, I had described Gizdodo as the marriage between Gizzard and dodo made in plantain heaven! If you love snails half as much as I do, then you’d love this Igbindodo.
Igbin being the Yoruba word for snails. Dodo is fried plantain in Yoruba too
• 1 Kg well cleaned Snails
• 6 Ripe Plantains
• 2 Large Onions
• 4 Tomatoes
• Jalapeño peppers ( Bawa / Sombo / long tatashe ) As many as you want depending on how much heat you can handle. I used more than 10 pieces
• 2 large sweet bell peppers (i used Green and Red)
• 1 1/2 cups chopped Carrots
• Scotch Bonnet (Ata rodo) as many as you want
• * 1 cup meat stock (optional)
• 2 Bouillon Cubes (knorr beef cubes in this instance)
• Salt to taste
• Vegetable oil ( to fry )
– Dice, marinate Snails with cayenne pepper (ground dried pepper ), salt and bouillon cubes for at least 30 mins, and fry till done.
– While your snails are marinating, prep you other ingredients. Coarsely blended your tomatoes, onion and peppers. You can use as little or as much of any of these ingredients. What we want to get is at least 2 1/2 cups of the coarsely blended pepper. Chop you bell peppers.
– Dice up your plantains and fry till golden brown and set aside. (I like to fry my plantain first and use the same oil to fry the snails )
– Using some the oil you fried the snail in, in a pot or wok add the pepper blend, add 1 cup of *meat Stock, taste for seasoning, if necessary season a little more. Cook with lid off, till the water is reduced, add the fried snail allow to cook till the water is completely reduced and the pepper starts to fry in the oil, turn the heat down a notch, then carrots, giving it a 5 minute head start before adding chopped bell peppers.
– Turn the heat down stir the fried plantain and stir in using a wooden or plastic spoon/ladle so as not to mash up the plantain.
– Stir in well and turn off the heat. Serve warm.
Our guest writer, Omolabake Bode - Matthew is unscripted , a lawyer turned virgin cocktail and fruit juice expert and she'd charge you to see her skills. To relax, she cooks, she loves to play with food, that she can share with you for free.
You can find her sharing her food therapies: